Picture this - a look at bygone Hull (1)
This picture was taken at the junction of Carr Lane and St John Street in 1899 a few weeks after the electric tramway was inaugrated.
Seen is one of the five cars brought to Hull which were built in Pittsburg, Pennysylvania. They had upholstered seats and linen blinds which in this picture have been drawn to protect passengers from the glare of the sun.
It was on July 5, 1899 that electric tramways were inaugurated along Anlaby Road and Hessle Road following the commissioning of the power generating station in Osborne Street.
The last horse drawn tram was seen on the streets of Hull on September 30 that same year.
Crossings brought chaos
Remember this? The place was Botanic Gardens. The year - 1958.
The effects of level crossing closures on the reliability of services in the city is highlighted in the picture.
The No 62 trolley buses seen here were spaced at five minute intervals in the schedule. But achieving this was difficult - the city had eleven railway crossings and five tidal bridges to contend with.
Within seven years of this picture being taken the trolley buses had gone.
The last of them operated on Service 63 (Beverley Road) making its last run on October 31 1964. It was replaced the following day by a motor bus.
End of an era
A busy scene at the Carr Lane junction. The trolley bus is working on service 70 - on the last day it did so.
Written by The Editor - 09/09/2001 09:49:06
View or add comments on this story